Craft is something that belongs to you in a way that nothing else does. You may share your passion with someone else, and provide inspiration for each other, but at it's very core it is a private joy that feeds your soul. It is there for you on the sunny days, the rainy afternoons and in the middle of the night when your worries are keeping you awake. At the same time it can be restful, meditative and exciting.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Some ponderings about Buddhist mandalas.......

My understanding of these mandalas is that once they are completed by the monks they are swept away.  It's hard for me to imagine what it must be like to create such a work of art and then watch it blow away on the wind.  I do understand that they represent the impermanence of all things, but still...............I mean, giving something away that you have made is one thing.  Sure enough it is no longer in your possession, but you know (hopefully) that it is being treasured by the person that you have gifted it to.  But to actually sweep it away..... I just can't seem to get my head around it.  I guess from my perspective it would mean that the creative process itself is more important than the finished product.

I definitely think that I could 'sweep into the wind' a card that I had made, purely because there isn't all the much time invested in it, comparatively speaking.  I don't know that I could ever consider doing the same with something more 'substantial' like a piece of knitting or patchwork.  Do you think that deconstructing a creation is a somehow liberating?  Or is it merely ridiculous (for the non Buddhist) ? =^..^=

No comments:

Post a Comment