Craft is something that belongs to you in a way that nothing else does. You may share your passion with someone else, and provide inspiration for each other, but at it's very core it is a private joy that feeds your soul. It is there for you on the sunny days, the rainy afternoons and in the middle of the night when your worries are keeping you awake. At the same time it can be restful, meditative and exciting.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Original Creations

I've just been wondering lately about creativity.  Can anything be called a truly original creation?  Surely if I have looked at the handcrafted cards that others have made I have been influenced by them to some extent or another.  So do I get to claim as an 'original creation' something that has been inspired by another card?

I'm not talking about when you re-create a card so that it is exactly the same as the one you have seen.  We've all done that at one time or another because the one you have seen is so perfect that any changes you could make would just ruin it.  But what about the ones where the card has many similarities to the one you were inspired by?  What if you use the same layout but change the colour scheme, the papers or the embellishments?

It's just that sometimes I look at cards that I have made and I see the ideas of others' in them.  But then I look at the other things that I like to create - knitting, cross stitch, patchwork.  All of the things that I have made have been inspired by the work of others, or been made exactly according to a pattern.  And I don't think of any of these things as not having been created by me.  Must be something to do with the essence of 'you' that goes into the things that we make.  Even if I do make a card that looks similar to one that I have seen it's my creation because I have used my craft stash in a unique way.  Just blabbing now, so I will sign off =^..^=

No comments:

Post a Comment